Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Boo Boo.

No matter how much you hawk eye them, turn the pot handles in, keep the scissors in a drawer, put a gate up at the stairs, plug plastic thingies in the outlets, lock the kitchen cabinet drawers, they will get hurt. This time we were lucky.

It happened on my watch last night at about eight o'clock. Ren and I were at our little tomato garden and my attention was on trying to get the new sprinkler head working. I saw him trip and fall out of the corner of my eye (peripheral vision, wink, wink) but this time there was a distinct sound of flesh coming into contact with sharp metal. Shear terror hit me like a line drive baseball in the gut when I turned my head and saw Ren laying on the ground next to a lumber pile of mine that I had covered up with some scrap metal roofing because I knew the edge was razor sharp.

Drop sprinkler, run 12 feet to child, roll child over to see if damage is as bad as it sounded, realize it is and try to not show panic in my own face, cover cut with my hand to control large amount of blood now coming from it, then take screaming bloody child to his mother and try to explain calmly that we should take him to the ER for this one.
All that happened in about 25.8 seconds....
Here is a shot with my phone in the ER waiting room...
Of coarse the wait in the ER was long. When we finally got a room the ER doctor was great but honest about the fact that it needed to be sewn up by a ENT dr. who was skilled in plastic surgery and that Ren would need to be sedated for that.

The experience of getting an IV started on a 2 year old was bad for everyone, nurses, parents, and most of all child... Use your imagination.

At one o'clock Kelly and Ren went to the OR to be briefed by the anesthesiologist and the ENT dr. I was at home getting the diaper bag for the night. I returned just as they were taking him back, CRYING, to the OR.

That was the longest 30 minutes ever. Waiting for them to come out like they promised and tell us when he was waking up was as nerve racking as the day we waited for him to be born. "It is just a cut and they do this all the time." I told myself over and over.

He woke up all stitched and Grouchy. His throat hurt, his IV site hurt, and his eye hurt I'm sure. We all got to bed at about 3 am and I snapped this shot this morning before I came into work... late.


I am super grateful that it wasn't any worse than it was. I know how many times I had stitches in my childhood. It is just different when it is your own...

No comments: