Friday, November 4, 2011

My flash drive.

Thanks Wormy for motivating me to post again. No lengthy excuses this time, I'm just too trifling to sit down and do it.
So, I had my backpack stolen out of my big truck at Concord Mills nearly a month ago. We were in Concord walking for team Olivia in the Autism Speaks walk. . . What an honor. . . and we wrapped up the afternoon with a trip to Bass Pro and food at Sticky Fingers. We come out of Sticky Fingers and Kelly says "look I left my door open". We get the kids in they're car seats and up the road we go. We stop at Octoberfest and I go to my backpack to get some sunscreen and there was no backpack. A wave of nausea mixed with anxiety went from my head to my toes when I put together the missing backpack with the open door. Long story short, if you know me well enough you know that everything I own is in that thing. I live out of it. It is my "man purse". Concord PD called Tuesday with news that it had been recovered in the woods next to Olive Garden across the street from where it was stolen. For nearly a whole month the pack and most of its non-valuable contents lay sprawled out on the ground like a gutted antelope on the Savannah. I drove Wednesday to the CPD sub station at Concord Mills and they signed it back over to me in all of its wet, smelly, glory. I also when to the spot where it was recovered and found a ton of other miscellaneous keepsakes. One of which was my 8 gig flash drive full of all my pictures of the kids. I spent nearly all the rest of the day washing the pack and the clothes that were in surprisingly good shape considering I don't normally wear clothes that are in that good of shape anyway. Minus all the valuable things like the leatherman tool, a pocket knife, an LL.Bean shaving bag, most of the personal things were accounted for. Mainly the flash drive and the extra keys that were in it. Today I stuck the flash drive in the computer after a month of laying on the ground and,(drum roll), all the pictures are on it. It works. The pack is cleaner now than it ever was and is going to be retired only to be brought out for traveling out of town (it is a perfect carry on). These are a couple pictures from this summer with my kids and they need no caption or explanation. They will speak for themselves as to the joys of being a father and husband. I really am blessed and I'm very thankful for my kids, my family, my health, and. . .my little backpack with the dorky patches on it. Thank you God.

No comments: