Thursday, April 30, 2009

A New Old Toy Box.

Well, I finally finished a project I started months ago. Ren now has a toy box. Not just any toy box but the same toy box my Papaw Joe built for me. Those of you with Henson blood coursing through your veins will know exactly which toy box I'm talking about. He built 6 or 7 of them. One for each grand child, but I'm not sure if he built Sarah one. Anyway, all of us boys got one and I found mine up in Mom and Dad's attic back during the winter. They were all made of quarter inch paneling and held up pretty well to the rigors of boyhood storage. At least mine did... After I got it home I called Jeremy and asked for some advise on whether or not I should fix it up. Only Jeremy would understand the reason behind the question. After a few minutes to study on it he and I agreed it needed to be fixed up and so I snapped this "before" picture. I will one day show this picture to Ren and try to explain where the toy box came from and more importantly who the man was who build it, what he was like, and how much of an impact he had on my life.

So for now here is a little boy with a new toy box and a big boy who keeps his memory of his Papaw in a little red box full of toys...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had one. That is awesome-I love the new twist on it & am glad you took a before picute! If only our children could know Papaw like we did...You just made a very hormonal pregnant woman cry :P~ Love ya~Sarah

Unknown said...

WOW! Wendell, you are amazing (but I knew that!)The before picture brings back many (bittersweet) memories of the then and now. Don't you wish we all knew (more) at the time of what we had-so not much that which lasted (the toybox) but that which didn't, (Papaw)(but we know he really did in many ways)? Just know I can believe and trust in my heavenly father because I had such a wonderful earthly one. Memories and legacies. Your "fixin'-up" the toy box would have made him proud-it does me. I know where a few more are...Just know -you too are making memories..if only for your son right now, others will learn and benefit.

Jeremy Hicks said...

Makes me want to go home and get mine right now and fill it with..... it doesnt matter what! Pretty work!