We are going on the third week now of Ren's diarrhea. We took him to the pediatrician last week and they said he had a normal stool sample except for one thing that indicated he has a "carbohydrate malabsorption", which means he isn't digesting Kelly's milk fully. They have put Kelly back on a dairy free diet and she is trying to adjust the feedings to allow for him to get more calorie rich milk from mommy. So far there have been fewer diaper changes (4 or 5 down from 8 or 9) and he is still gaining weight. All in all he appears happy and healthy. He hasn't had a fever and doesn't act sick. Just a lot of diaper changing.
He and Kelly came to see me and the guys at the fire station tonight. They had been to the mall to catch some sales on clothes and they dropped in just as we were returning from a call.
I come to the fire department to work a 24 hour shift and it is good to see them both during my shift, (since the majority of the shift I am thinking about getting back home to see them). He of coarse showboated and talked baby gibberish with everyone.
He still hasn't turned over by himself yet. I love when he wakes up in the morning. I try to get into his room quietly when I hear him stirring and catch him looking around. He cocks his little butt in the air and arches his back to get his head as high as he can to scan the contents of his crib and his room. Like a chicken... every day is a new day. I think he will be turning over by himself soon.
2 comments:
Thinking of all three of you and hope the health concerns work themselves out quickly. There is so much concern and guilt involved when you have a child who has some concerns. I enjoy your pictures and he is so alert and looks so happy, I can't wait to meet him...hopefully at Jeremy's wedding...beth
I hope he is doing better now. If babies or children in general knew only half of the worry and concern their parents go through... On the other hand if they just knew, really knew how very much loved they are and how a parent would literally die for them-wouldn't it be amazing the results or the impact on the world it would have? Doesn't your heart just want to burst open every day in the good or in the not so good times with love-that love that truly only comes from having your own child? This time is yours-it does go by too fast and in the years to come when you are a grandparent like I am-you will know an even greater love-the unbelievable, extreme love you have for a grandchild. I am so very fortunate that I can be with my grandsons every day and that is not even enough. When you were born and I was welcomed in- to help nurture and love you-it was the greatest time and experience of my life (then)-and when I look at Ren's pictures-I see you and a lot of his so neat and beautiful mom. He is so very special to so many of us as I know he is to you both as well. I'm so glad you are the Dad you have become. You will never regret that!!! Thanks for posting a small part of Ren's life through pictures and words. I enjoy them everyday-M
Post a Comment